Thursday, January 31, 2013

Magnet Update


I just spoke with Pat Copeland again.  She indicated that Dr. Thompson has the proposal and has reviewed it.  She said that Dr. Thompson will have to discuss the proposal with Dr. Kendra March - one of the Deputy Superintendents in DCSD.  At that point, Dr. March will decide if the proposal is: a) approvable, b) needs changes, or c) has to be moved further up the administrative chain for further consideration/approval/denial.  She assured me that more information would be available by Monday, February 4th.  I conveyed to her that our community is VERY restless about this issue and additional anxiety comes from how close open enrollment is at this point.  She repeated that more information would be available by Monday, February 4th, one week prior to the start of open enrollment.

Although I remain surprised and disappointed that the proposal sat idle in the School Choice Office from December 4th, 2012 until January 29th, 2013, Dr. Thompson (who replaced Dr. Taylor on Monday, January 28th, 2013) has only had the proposal for two days and she has just begun working with the School Choice Office. Therefore, Monday, February 4th does not seem unreasonable in this context.  We cannot regain the lost time detailed in the previous post on this issue, but it does seem the proposal is now moving through the DCSD administrative chain.  In addition to this information, I do have read receipts from Dr. Thompson, Dr. Boza, and Ms. Brictson for the email that I sent earlier this week.  I cannot say what actions they have taken, but I can say that they have at least opened the email and checked the box that allows the reply indicating that they have received the email.  

As before, I will provide additional updates as I receive more information.  I appreciate your patience.  I know firsthand that waiting for a response is very difficult for the Evansdale families and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment